Blackjack is among the most popular gambling games. One of its advantages, along with the fascinating gameplay, is the low house edge, which makes this title as friendly as possible towards the punters. In this manual, our experts will provide you with a review of the European variation of Blackjack. You will learn about its rules and features, existing strategies and the ability to play against a real dealer. We will also tell you how to play European Blackjack online, and what tips you can use to maximize your chances.
What is European Blackjack?
European Blackjack is one of the most demanded varieties of this famous card game. Initially, it was enjoyed in land-based casinos, but for many years it has occupied an important place in the gaming libraries of various gambling sites. Punters from around the world love European blackjack for the low house edge, the ability to influence the result with their actions, fairly simple rules, exciting gameplay and chances to win big money.
Rules & Features
You may wonder what is different about European blackjack and other varieties of this famous card entertainment. In the European version, the dealer receives only one open card on the deal. Punters receive two cards each and make decisions before the dealer takes the second card. When the final combinations of all participants are formed, the dealer gets the second card. In the American variation, players take fewer risks, because they learn about a possible blackjack from the dealer from the very beginning, so they can boldly double their bets or split. The result in the European version is more unpredictable, but otherwise, the rules are the same.
In modern European blackjack, two decks are used (but, look for variations from game content providers), which are shuffled after each round. This rule makes card counting almost impossible. So, a sufficient number of cards are never dealt in one round to determine exactly whether the deck is favourable for the punter.
Here are the general rules of European Blackjack, some of which coincide with the American variation:
- The dealer must take a card up to 16 points;
- The dealer does not take cards at “soft” 17;
- Doubling the bet at 9, 10, 11;
- Doubling the bet when splitting;
- It is not allowed to split 4-, 5-, or 10-point cards;
- Repeated split is prohibited;
- The punter loses the total bet at blackjack at the dealer, including splitting and doubling;
- Blackjack is paid out at 3:2.
Card value chart
One of the mandatory things you should know about before you start playing is the card value chart. Each card in this title has its own value, which allows punters to make combinations:
- From 2 to 9 — corresponds to the nominal value of the card;
- 10, Jack, Queen, King — 10 points;
- Ace — either 1 or 11 points (at the player’s request);
- The suits of the cards do not matter.
As in any version of Blackjack, in the European variation punters must score 21 points or the number of points that will be more points than the dealer’s total points. To do this, combinations of cards are formed based on their cost, as we described above.
Thus, the likely outcomes of each round may be as follows:
- The punter scored more pts than the dealer without exceeding 21 pts. Player’s victory;
- The user scored more pts than the dealer but exceeded 21 pts. Dealer’s victory;
- The participant scored fewer pts than the dealer, who did not exceed 21 pts. Dealer’s victory;
- The player scored fewer pts than the dealer who exceeded 21 pts. Player’s victory;
- Both the player and the dealer scored 21 pts each. Draw.
European Blackjack Strategies
You can use one or another European Blackjack strategy to maximize the chances of success. Of course, such systems do not give any guarantee of winning, but their correct application can help you. The most demanded strategy, which is also used in other gambling entertainment, is Martingale. Its essence is simple — you have to double the size of the bet after each loss and return to the original stake size after winning. Thus, when you finally win, you will immediately win back the entire amount of your losses and win the amount of the initial stake. However, it is no coincidence that the Martingale strategy is considered high-risk:
- Firstly, there may be a limit on the max stake in the online casino of your choice, and you may not win until you reach it;
- Secondly, the strategy requires a significant bankroll, because a constant doubling of the stake may require a large amount from you. You can quickly squander your budget and win nothing.
There are other strategies that you can apply while playing European Blackjack. The best option for you will be to train any system you choose in trial mode. Having studied all the nuances of the strategy, you will understand whether it suits you and whether it is advisable to use it while playing blackjack for money.
Live European Blackjack
As you already know, European Blackjack can be enjoyed online in its virtual version. But, there is an even more interesting and exciting option — this is a game with real dealers. For example, this opportunity is offered by one of the best providers of gaming content — Microgaming. The title is suitable for punters with any bankroll — both for standard players and for high rollers because the range of bets in it is from 1 to 1000 dollars.
If you have never played against a real dealer, then we advise you to fix this error as soon as possible! You will have an unforgettable experience of playing in the authentic atmosphere of a real land-based casino, but at the same time, you will be in the comfort of your own home. The whole process is set up in a game studio, and manipulations at the table are carried out by a real dealer. This is a specially trained employee, whose actions can be monitored, thanks to HD cameras. You will have the opportunity to ask the dealer questions via Live Chat. This option is also suitable for communicating with other participants of the game. Yes, you read it correctly, unlike the virtual version of European Blackjack, its Live variation can be enjoyed by several people at the same time. Moreover, they are not rivals to each other but are trying to beat the croupier.
How to Enjoy European Blackjack Online?
So, now you know what European Blackjack is, and would like to test your strength. But how to do it? Where to find the game? — Don’t worry, we have prepared detailed instructions, so you just have to follow them and enjoy the result:
- Step 1. Pick a gambling resource. This is the most important step that determines whether your gaming experience will be positive. If you do not want to become a victim of scammers, analyze the resource. Find out if it has a license, whether it is certified by independent auditors, and what kind of selection of payment gates is offered to regular customers. Also, see if there is a European Blackjack in the company’s portfolio. And find out which communication channels you can use to reach the support agents;
- Step 2. Open an account. Many gambling operators offer games in demo mode, and we advise you to use this option, but in the status of a registered client, you will get access to all the services of the resource. In addition, if your aim is to play for cash, you will already have an account. To open it, you must provide authentic personal and contact details. Don’t worry, if you pick a legal gambling resource, your confidential data will be securely protected;
- Step 3. Replenish the balance. If you are not ready to play for cash yet, then skip this step. Otherwise, use one of the payment solutions presented on the gambling resource to load money into the account;
- Step 4. Start playing. Now comes the most enjoyable part. Go to the game library and select European Blackjack. You can take the opportunity to run it in demo mode. Do not neglect it — it is better to play a little for your own pleasure than to risk your money right away.
We hope these instructions were very clear to you.
Tips for Playing Online European Blackjack
- Tip 1. Practice. No one will forbid you to use the benefits of the demo mode to the maximum. As soon as you know the rules perfectly and understand the nuances, then switch to paid mode;
- Tip 2. Set limits. Determine the bankroll that you will not be sorry to lose if a streak of defeats awaits you. Do not exceed the limits in any case. If you have completely lost the money allocated for the game, it is better to get up from the virtual table;
- Tip 3. Control the budget. It is very easy to lose your head in gambling and lose all your funds to win big. Do not try to recoup after losing. Remember that there will be a new day;
- Tip 4. Save the time. The longer you stay at the virtual table, the higher the risk that you will get tired, lose concentration and start losing;
- Tip 5. Strategies do not guarantee success. Various gaming techniques can help you win at European Blackjack, but they do not guarantee this. If you decide to use the game system, then follow it from the beginning to the end of the session, regardless of the results;
- Tip 6. Be careful. European Blackjack requires care because in this game the result largely depends on the punters’ actions. If you make a mistake because of the haste of actions, you will only blame yourself;
- Tip 7. Play for cash only in a suitable condition. Alcohol and depression are your enemies if you want to enjoy not only European Blackjack but also any other gambling games.
How Old Should I Be to Enjoy Online European Blackjack?
Because European Blackjack is played at gambling portals, punters are subject to age restrictions that are imposed in a certain jurisdiction. Most often, you must be at least 18 y/o. Otherwise, you will not be allowed to open an account on a gambling resource and enjoy the game.
What is European Blackjack?
This is one of the varieties of the classic blackjack game, which has become widespread in Western European countries. Today it can be found in the assortment of most online blackjack casinos. In this variation, the rules are tougher than in the American version, therefore, there is more risk and thrill in the game.
Is it Difficult to Master the European Blackjack Rules?
If you are not new to Blackjack, you will be able to quickly understand the nuances of the European variation of this game. But, even if you are an experienced gambler, we recommend that you practice in demo mode before starting the game on the cash. By the way, this mode is mandatory for rookies who are just getting acquainted with European Blackjack. It’s hard to say how long it will take you to figure out the rules, it’s individual.
What House Edge at European Blackjack?
Blackjack is one of the gambling games with a minimal house edge, which makes it attractive to customers. Usually, the indicator ranges from 0.5% to 1.5%.
Where to Play European Blackjack?
Enjoy this variation of the famous card entertainment in online casinos. Due to the highest popularity of Blackjack, you will be able to find it in the portfolio of the best gambling portals in the world, so pick a platform wisely, paying attention to various aspects: from the selection of payment gates to the availability of incentives.